What is Anulom Vilom Pranayam?
No one in today’s generation is strange from yoga and its benefits. Being a fit person can get many health benefits, but it does not mean you should know all the complex asanas and practice them daily. With some easy yoga, you can achieve this goal. One of the most common asanas is Anuloma Viloma.
Anulom Vilom Pranayama, or the alternate nostril breathing exercise, is a phenomenal breathing exercise involving holding one nostril closed and inhaling with the other while keeping the other locked and exhaling with the first.
How to practice Anulom Vilom?
If you want to learn this pranayam, you must follow the given steps:
- Sit down in Padmasana, the Lotus pose, with closed eyes and a straight spine.
- Fold your right middle and index fingers and bring the hand near your nose. Place the thumb on your right nostril and your ring finger on your left nostril.
- Use the right thumb to close the respective nostril and inhale with the help of the left nostril.
- When your lungs fill with air, close the open nostril with the ring finger and hold your breath till you can.
- Now, release your thumb from the right nostril, and exhale while keeping the other locked. Remember to focus on your breathing all the time.
- Again, repeat the process by inhaling with the right nostril and exhaling with the left one.
- Once you complete the cycle of inhaling and exhaling with both nostrils, repeat it almost five times.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom:
Every yoga asana has its pros and sound effects. Similarly, this asana has many benefits that are mentioned below:
- Improved respiratory system: As you can see from the process, it is a breathing exercise. So, the main anulom vilom benefit is the enhanced respiratory system, as when you breathe in and out, your lungs become more muscular.
- Better sleep: Anulom vilom also helps your mind relax and provides better sleep. You can also try it in the evening for this cause.
- Reduces stress: Anulom Vilom also helps in reducing your daily stress and anxiety. It helps you in living a peaceful life. It is also said that a sound body has a sound mind. Anulom Vilom Pranayama also helps you with this.
- Lightened the cases of Asthma: Anulom Vilom is a breathing exercise. Doing it daily with full awareness, you can lighten the chances of respiratory diseases, such as asthma and bronchitis.
- Enhances concentration: When you practise this asana daily, you start improving your concentration power as you begin to focus on one thing, that is, your breathing. In this way, you enhance your decision-making ability and start to control your anger.
- Glowing skin: No one in this world love to have a pimple or acne skin. So, if you have any pimples or acne spots, start practising it today. You can get healthy glowing skin in a few time.
- Better Eyesight: With the help of research, it is being proved that eyes need a lot of oxygen, and anulom vilom pranayam helps you consume as much oxygen as possible in one attempt. In this way, it helps you in improving your eyesight.
- Lose fat without chemicals: Anuloma Viloma is the best possible way to lose kilos from your body. You do not have to take chemicals or follow strict diets. A little time given to it will help you with this.
- Relieve you from everyday problems: Anuloma Viloma will also help you in getting relaxed from your daily problems, such as constipation, snoring, acidity, and allergies.
- Improved Cardiovascular functionality: Anulom Vilom also helps to lower your blood pressure and heart rate. In this way, your cardiovascular muscles function tremendously and assist you in being a fit person every day.
- Improves Memory: Anulom Vilom exercise also improves your memory and lets you save information for a longer time in your brain.
- Boosts immunity: Anulom Vilom also enhances your immunity system and keeps you away from diseases like colds and coughs.
Tip to remember
It would be best if you kept these things in your mind when you do anulom vilom pranayama:
- If you are a beginner, do not count the number of breathing you have done. The reason behind this is when you focus on measuring; you can not concentrate on breathing, which is much more critical.
How often should you practice Anulom Vilom?
You can try anulom vilom pranayam on regular basis. You should complete 60 cycles of anulom vilom every day. But, if you are a beginner, you can start with fewer numbers. One more thing, it is not necessary to complete all cycles in one attempt; you can do it in a whole day easily.
Remember these points for safety measures for yourself and your health:
- If you are a beginner, try to practise it for one to two minutes. Increase your time slowly, depending on your ability.
- Although this pranayama has no side effects, keep a trainer beside you for supervision.
- Take a break if you feel uncomfortable at any time.
Anuloma Viloma Pranayama is the best way to enhance your endurance and lungs. It is a great way to lead a healthy lifestyle. As the saying goes, health is wealth. So, always keep yourself fit and fine to live a good life.