The day comprises 24 hours, and each hour has 60 minutes. If you go on, you will see how much time you occupy this day. Yet people feel they do not have enough time to complete the work, or some feel they have much time to relax as much as they want. All this is due to ill time management skills. Time management is an essential part of life nowadays.
This generation’s youth want to do everything within the schedule, but this can be done with better time management skills. Indeed, some people can get the most out of the minute of the day due to their excellent time management skills. It is not that people can not slow down their time; they know how to do this and manage time properly.
Importance of time management
View this post on Instagram
Time management is essential not only in the workplace but also in overall life. You can collectively achieve your life and work goals when you manage your time without hurdles. Following are some reasons why time management is essential in life:
- Never miss any deadline or appointment: Deadlines and meetings are difficult to keep on track, but if you manage your time correctly and include everything in your schedule, you may not miss any deadline or appointment.
- More focus, less delay: You will always be on track with proper time management. You complete your work on time with more focus and less delay because you already assigned time slots to your work and are so concentrated that you will end them on time. This way, you also improve your concentration and will never get delayed.
- Avoid unwanted stress: Indeed, racing to beat the deadline stress you out due to the fear of failure to meet the expectations of the senior persons. Time management helps you avoid this unwanted stress and be on time regarding every task.
- Reputation maintained: When you miss deadlines, forget meetings, and rush to do the projects, you indeed make some mistakes. These mistakes can harm your reputation, making it impossible to create one again. However, with proper time management skills, you can maintain your reputation by reducing these possibilities.
- Better Balance between work and life: Efficient time management helps you create an official schedule and have time to offer your family and friends. When you end your office work on time, you will have enough time to enjoy yourself with your family, and in the end, you will achieve an outstanding balance between your work and life.
- Avoid financial penalties: Due to late submissions of projects and missing deadlines, you may suffer some financial penalties at work. For example, you will be surcharged by 5% if you forget to pay taxes. That is why time management helps you in avoiding these financial penalties.
Due to all these reasons, time management is vital for a better lifestyle. With proper time management, you can achieve whatever you want. You will have adequate time for family, friends, and work. No one will be pissed off at you.
Tips for better time management
When you learn how to manage your time, you can boost the quality of your work. This results in significant productivity. You can be more valuable to your employer and create new opportunities for career development. That is why let us take a look at the 25 best time management tips so that you can enhance your value and increase your productivity:
1. Set goals and prioritize tasks
The best way to manage, ideally, your time is to prioritize all the tasks you need to finish in the day. For this, you need to set the goals of your tasks. You can try the following ways to do it:
- Create a list of tasks for the day/week/month: Try to make a list in the form of a table that includes days, weeks, and months. Assign the tasks to different days according to the priority and divide the month.
- Prioritize tasks based on urgency and importance: Always set your work in your timetable based on preference and speed so you never forget to finish them first. Remember the need for the tasks while making daily, weekly, and monthly plans.
- Break down the more significant tasks into small ones: One excellent time management technique is to divide the extensive work into some small portions and then start doing that work sequence-wise. This way, you will not be burdened with the deadline and will show significant productivity results here.
2. Use a timer
When you know you have limited time to complete your work, you gradually start doing work faster. It means your speed naturally becomes fast. That is why experts recommend you start work when with a timer. You can use the timer for each task to stay focused and productive. Make sure to take adequate short breaks between jobs so you may not get exhausted.
3. Always attend meetings well-prepared
Meetings also waste too much time because their starting is wasted in getting knowledge about the meeting. The effective way to deal with this problem is to ask everyone to come with complete preparation. This way, you not only save a lot of time but also develop the habit of punctuality and enhance your knowledge.
4. Never waste your free days
A free day can be any public holiday or weekend you think you should spend without working. But this thinking needs to be corrected. Whether you do a little work on those days, yet you should. You can also plan your coming days on these days so that you will not face any further difficulties. Apart from work, you can also prepare some holidays and family trips on these days to spend quality time with them.
5. Limit distractions
One main reason for forgetting meetings and deadlines is being busy on social media and cell phones. These are the biggest distraction and hurdles in your success path. However, sometimes people need help identifying what distracts them from being on time. For this, you should do the following:
- Identify the distractions, such as Instagram, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, and all the other social media sites.
- Eliminate these distractions. It may seem challenging to eradicate all these distractions simultaneously, but you can try them individually.
- You can also block those distracting websites by using tools. There are many tools in the market. Some are free, while some of them are paid.
6. Start with hefty tasks in the morning
When you wake up, your battery is fully charged. Your body can do most of the day in the morning. That is why you must not waste this time and start with the most time-consuming tasks. This way, you are left behind with small and easy jobs for the end of the day. It will also help you with pressure management throughout the day.
7. Avoid Multitasking
When you try to do more than one task at a time, you may lose your productivity. Resultingly, you will burden yourself with unwanted stress. That is why avoid multitasking and focus on one job at a time. You are not designed as a machine, so move forward step by step. You will increase your capacity by learning new things with a concentrated mind.
8. Prioritize self-care
Self-love is vital for physical and mental well-being. That is why you should always put self-care at the top of your list. Staying focused on work may let you forget when to eat and drink and when to nap. Resultingly, you deteriorate your health. That is why you should take frequent breaks, exercise, and meditate to calm your mind and body. You can also reduce stress with the help of these activities.
9. Take technology advantage
You live in a technological era and can use these technologies for better time management. There are many apps and softwares in the market that you can use for free or buy. Using them for the specific task can save a lot of time. These apps are:
- Rize – Notes all the tasks you have done in the whole day
- Notion – Work just like notes to make to-do lists
- Serene – helps you focus on the task at hand
- Rescue Time – keeps notes of how much time you are spending on various apps and websites
- Google Calendar
10. Learn to say “good enough”
Sometimes, you want perfectionism in every work and forget that nothing is perfect in this world. To get perfectionism everywhere, you offer others great stress and waste their time. That is why you may learn to say “good enough” to work near perfectionism. Learning to accept when a task is good enough is a good habit. Resultingly, you will save a lot of time and relieve stress.
11. Focus on the most important tasks first
While planning your day and managing your time for a day or week, make sure to put the crucial jobs on the top of the list so that you can complete them as a priority. Moreover, it would help if you did these jobs early in the morning because you are more refreshed at that time compared to the rest of the day. Also, remember to save energy for the unexpected challenges of the day.
12. Do not commit anything
It is good to stick to your words, but over-committing is terrible for your professional and personal life. So, it is suitable only to take on tasks that you can realistically complete. This way, you will not stick your leg in two or more boats; otherwise, you wil end up in a horrible accident. Also, you will have enough time to look at the challenges you face in the future.
13. Plan for interruptions
It is good to manage your time for unexpected tasks and meetings so that you may not welcome any unwanted stress in your life. When you plan your day, you come across various challenges that may happen during the day. So, it would be best to plan your schedule accordingly. To keep these interruptions away from you, you can try these methods:
- You can schedule “available” and “unavailable” times for various meetings and tasks.
- If you are already out of the plan, say no to additional jobs.
- You should know how to tackle unavoidable interruptions for better time management.
14. Create a routine
People who follow a strict daily routine are much more successful than others. So, always create a routine and add each job, whether it is professional or personal, to this routine. This way, you not only enhance your productivity but also improve your efficiency. Try to stick to your routine as much as possible.
15. Keep your workspace organized
Cleanliness is vital to excellent time management skills. When your desk is neat and clean, it will motivate you to do the work with total concentration and focus. Resultingly, you provide the seniors with excellent results. Moreover, you will be away from clutter and distractions during your career. It will also save a lot of your time.
16. Take advantage of downtime
You often have to wait for some orders or calls. You can use that time to complete the rest of your schedule. You can also learn something new in this time. This time is known as downtime in the official language. The best time to learn new skills is downtime when your work awaits a response.
17. Use a planner or calendar
You can also use a planner or calendar for better time management. This way, you will be alerted of all the challenges you may face in the future. There are many types of planners in the market; you can also create one with your hands.
- You may use physical calendars such as diaries or digital calendars like a computer or mobile notes.
- Also, remember to put reminders of important meetings and deadlines.
18. Set boundaries
It would be best to create boundaries between your personal and professional life. Remember not to mix both of them; otherwise, you have to face some consequences you never imagined. Avoid personal work at your workplace, and do not indulge in laptops and mobile phones while vacationing with family or friends.
19. Learn to let go of non-essential tasks
Do not add unimportant work to your schedule. It will just waste your time. Instead of this, assign that time to learn something new or to the challenges you will be facing in any other work. This way, you will schedule the best and stay tension free. Focus on the tasks that target your goals and lead you toward that goal.
20. Review and reflect
The best policy for excellent time management is to review your past schedule, reflect on the mistakes and unfinished tasks, and create a new one with full enthusiasm. This way, you will not feel demotivated at any step to success. Moreover, you can check your progress and work on your talents accordingly.
21. Delegate tasks
Delegate tasks mean dividing the tasks among your team members and co-workers so that you can finish the job on time. It also helps you in forming a great relationship with your colleagues. It may seem easy to distribute tasks among them, but all that glitters is not gold. For this, you should:
- Firstly, identify the duties that can be given to others according to their experience and talent.
- Secondly, these duties should be delegated to your co-workers or team members rather than to any third person from outside.
This way, you will finish your job before the deadline, and by including your colleagues in your projects, you can form a great relationship with them. This relationship will help you in the future when you require any help.
22. Get enough sleep
Your mind is not a machine. It also needs some rest to regain everything back on track. Although you take frequent breaks during work, a proper sleep of 7 to 8 hours a day is the best source for your brain to regain power for the next day. It will also help you improve your productivity as new ideas grow in a sound mind, and you will feel less stressed during the day.
Learn to say no if you do not have much time to help others. If you are ever ready for everyone, people will depend on you, and your work will be left behind. It is not that you say no to everyone, even if you have time. Have a look at your schedule and then answer back accordingly. One more thing to remember is to be aware of mean and useless people who want to waste your time.
24. Enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy
Always make sure to do the job that offers you inner peace and calm throughout life. The satisfaction from what you are doing is as important as the work. It is considered a golden rule of successful life when you enjoy whatever you do and do what you want. While doing the job you love, you always feel energized and give all your heart to that job.
25. Learn to say NO
Though no is a tiny word, it contains a person’s immense feelings. Learning how to say no to people when you cannot do that job properly is essential. It is necessary for both the areas that are personal and professional. Keep in mind that:
- You can say no to seniors or clients when you can not handle many duties simultaneously. It will not harm your job or reputation. Nobody can force you to do beyond your limits.
- It would be best if you learned how to decline the requests politely. For example, if your head tries to give you some new projects that are not fitting into your schedule, you can tell them that you are handling the tasks that must be completed as a priority. You can also suggest people who can do those duties in your place.
Indeed, living a successful life is the priority of every people nowadays, and for this, better time management skills are essential in everyone’s life. That is why these 25 tips will be very beneficial for developing this much-needed habit. Resultingly, you will save a lot of time and relieve yourself from life’s stress factors.